Maternity leave

9 comments



Two weeks ago I decided to (partly) start my maternity leave. My illustration courses are now in capable hands (partly of the lovely Geertje Aalders).
Although is was a but though to let go, I am happy with this decision as I intantly felt better and more energetic, not having to travel back and forth to Utrecht two nights a week.

But, here's the catch... I'm terrible at taking maternity leave! Once I felt better my head instantly came up with new fun projects, ideas and things to do. A list of examples I'd like to finish before giving birth (dream on Kim...):

-making a new online illustration course (I'm afraid I have to postpone this one till spring).
-sewing all sorts of nice clothes for the baby
-finishing a crochet baby blanket for the stroller
-making a window display/ banner to announce the birth of our little one
-designing a poster (or something like that) with yoga for bunnies (Seb is the enlightened model of course).
-baking, baking, baking (not that I can eat any, baby has barely left room for my stomach)
-having tea with all my friends before the delivery
-making Sinterklaas poems and gifts
-taking on all the commissions that suddenly come in (my new mantra: let it go... let it go... they won't forget you).
-restocking the webshop (check!) and handling all (christmas-)orders
-doing my bookkeeping/ taxes

You catch my drift? In the mean time people do not ask me anymore 'how far along are you?' but 'how much more weeks to go?' and when I reply 1 month everyone starts shooting advise at me like: 'take your rest, you'll never rest again once your baby is born'. 'Enjoy your time off, you'll never ever have time for yourself anymore'. 'Enjoy it while you can, babies are exhausting (although you get sooo much love in return)'
Really!? I was under the impression a baby came with a turn off switch, nicely wrapped in the placenta. Not? Silly me.

And then the other bunch will ask you about your prenatal discomforts and when you do not seem to experience them (although I do acknowledge that it is getting heavier on the belly/ back/ hips), you get the reply: 'oh just wait, you'll get then later/too/once you're in your .... month'. Thanks for pointing that out to me. By the way, so far they are wrong, I still do not suffer (much) from heartburn, cramped legs, not sleeping, nausea, hemorrhoids, extreme hormonal imbalances, thank you very much.

Anyways... I fully understand if you drifted away during this plea. Forgive me. What I do want to say is this: I feel quite fortunate with my state of being and wish others only the best!
In the meantime, I'll be continue posting on my blog but maybe not as frequent as you're used to. I'm slowly reducing till birth. ;-)

-----------

Twee weken geleden heb ik besloten om (deels) te beginnen met mijn zwangerschapsverlof. Mijn illustraties cursussen zijn nu in goede handen (o.a. van Geertje Aalders).
Hoewel ik het lastig vond om het over te dragen (sorry lieve cursisten!) ben ik blij dat ik deze beslissing heb genomen, ik voelde me meteen beter en minder moe nu ik niet meer twee keer per week 's avonds heen en weer hoef naar Utrecht.

Maar... er is een addertje onder het gras... Ik blijk heel slecht te zijn in zwangerschapsverlof! Toen ik weer wat meer energie kreeg ging mijn  hoofd meteen allemaal leuke nieuwe projecten, ideeen en dingen om te doen bedenken. Een lijstje met voorbeelden van wat ik graag zou afmaken/ doen voor de geboorte (dream on... Kim):

-een nieuwe online illustratie workshop maken (ben bang dat ik dit uit moet stellen tot in de lente)
-heel veel leuke babykleertjes maken
-het gehaakte kleedje voor de kinderwagen afmaken
-versiering maken voor voor het raam met de aankondiging van de geboorte van onze baby
-een poster (of iets dergelijks) ontwerpen met yoga voor konijnen (met Seb als verlicht yogamodel natuurlijk)
-bakken, bakken, bakken (niet dat ik het zelf op kan eten, de baby heeft nauwelijks ruimte over gelaten voor mijn maag)
-met al mijn vrienden nog even thee-dates houden voor de geboorte
-sinterklaas kadootjes en gedichten maken
-alle illustratie opdrachten aannemen die opeens mijn kant op komen (nieuwe mantra: laat het los... laat het los... ze zullen je niet vergeten)
-mijn webshop updaten (check!) en alle (kerst-)orders versturen
-mijn boekhouding/ belasting doen

Je snap het idee. En ondertussen vragen mensen niet meer 'hoe ver ben je?' maar 'hoe lang moet je nog?' (1 maand) om er dan meteen achteraan te gooien: 'neem nu alle rust die je kan pakken, je hebt straks noooooit meer rust'. 'Geniet maar van je verlof, je hebt hierna nooit meer tijd voor jezelf'. 'Geniet ervan nu het nog kan, babies zijn heeeel vermoeiend (maar je krijgt er zoooveel voor terug)'.
Echt waar joh!? Ik dacht eigenlijk dat een baby geboren wordt met een bijbehorende 'uit-knop' (die dan leuk verpakt zit in de placenta). Niet? Hoe dom van mij!

De ander groep vraagt dan weer graag naar je zwangerschapskwaaltjes en als blijkt dat je die niet echt hebt krijg je te horen: 'wacht maar, dat komt nog wel later/ als je... maanden bent/ binnenkort. Heel erg bedankt voor deze informatie, wilde ik heel graag weten. En trouwens ik heb dus nog steeds (tot nu toe) geen last van maagzuur, kramp in mijn benen, slecht slapen, misselijkheid, aambeien, extreme hormonen, dank u wel.

Anyways... Ik begrijp het helemaal als je ondertussen bent afgedwaald tijdens mijn pleidooi. Vergeef me. Wat ik eigenlijk wil zeggen is dit: Ik voel me bevoorrecht met mijn staat van zijn en wens iedereen alleen maar het allerbeste!
Ondertussen blijf ik posten op dit blog maar wellicht niet zo vaak als je van me gewend bent, ik ga het langzaam afbouwen tot aan de bevalling. ;-)


9 comments:

  1. Geen kinderen ('alleen' tante), dus geen advies, maar: geniet van je inspiratie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah ah ah , I'll picture your baby comming wrap in a pretty soft blanket with a beautiful bow on her/his head ! I also don't have a baby ( yet) but I'll vote for doing the things you want while you feel good. I hate when people tell me "rustig aan"when I just want to drink a magical potion to go twice faster :-)
    have you seen this baby jas ?

    http://www.hema.nl/winkel?fh_location=%2F%2Fnlhema%2Fnl_NL%2Fcategories%3C%7Bnlhema_nl3291%7D%2Fcategories%3C%7Bnlhema_nl3291_nl4059%7D%2Fcategories%3C%7Bnlhema_nl3291_nl4059_nl4958%7D&fh_secondid=pnl_33207400

    good luck with your enormous to do list !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I saw that little jacket in the shop, sooo cute! I have to put myself on a 'baby-clothes-diet' though, I just want to have everything (but do not need everything, haha)! ;-)

      Delete
  3. ha ha! I know exactly how you feel... although with my youngest now almost 3 years old pregnancy seems a lifetime ago. Trust me, life is what you make of it and it seems to me like you're doing a great job :-) Good luck with all your projects!!
    liefs, elma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elma! I've always admired you for how much you get done, with kids! I guess it is possible :-)

      Delete
  4. Mooi to do list:-), ik zou boekhouding even verslonzen;-). Hopelijk krijg je veel gedaan, en zo niet - ook niet erg!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, ja al die ongevraagde adviezen, bangmakerij en vragen naar al je kwaaltjes. Meestal goedbedoeld...maar vaak behoorlijk irritant. Vooral dat je ervan moet genieten is zo'n fijn 'advies' ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the people who are concerned about you. Once the baby comes out, you’ll never have enough time to do all these tasks. I hope you finished all of it on time, especially your bookkeeping task. It’s very stressful to do, but once you've done and filed it on time, it’d be a huge relief. How are you, by the way?

    Lilia @ DenverBookKeepingService.com

    ReplyDelete

all content on this blog © Kim Welling unless stated otherwise. Powered by Blogger.